Thursday, October 7, 2010

.school.

I have been in classes now for 5 weeks.  Time is flying by but I am attempting to enjoy every minute.  Since I am on fellowship this semester, I am taking 12 credit hours (4 classes).  In graduate school, this is known as an overload but I have been very blessed to be able to balance assignments and reading - as well as still make time for some fun activities.
My classes are really good, I feel like I am learning so much but I must admit that the most enjoyable part is bonding with my classmates and my professors.
In my graduating class, there are 8 of us.  We have aptly named ourselves "The Octohort."  We have such great chemistry with one another and even when we disagree on points of departure in the text or other things we are working on, we are able to leave all of that in the classroom and still move on to be friends.  So to Cherod, Piper, Chloe, Nick, Ali, Martin and Iffat, I say thanks and I am looking forward to what the future has to bring us.
At the moment, I am working on a grant application.  I am applying for the Ford Foundation Predoctoral Diversity Fellowship.  I am really excited about this opportunity because if I am chosen, I will have 3 years of funding in which I can spend my time focused on my research.  Believe me, I enjoy teaching but it has been a very long time since I have had the opportunity to focus on my writing and even have the chance of getting an article published in an academic journal.
My advisors (Ron and Mary Zboray) have taken me under their wing and are really guiding me throughout this process.  Whatever happens, I am grateful for the experience.  But, I won't lie, I will be even more happy with a letter that says that I am a Ford Fellow.
I will keep you all posted on the outcome, but prayers and well wishes are much appreciated.
As I said earlier, classes are great and I am really excited for the projects that I am working on.  I won't lie, this is some hard work - we are reading on average about 400 pages a week.  It is grueling but such an accomplishment to come to the end of each week's to do list and cross everything off......
At times, I feel like my brain might explode and come oozing out of my ear but it hasn't happened yet, so  I'm guessing that it isn't a possibility.  :)
Attached to this message, you will see my wordle.  This just simply gives you a glimpse of my research agenda/interests.  It may not make much sense, but it looks really cool.  You all know how I feel about looks......lol.  You have to click on the wordle to see it in a separate screen (the print will be large enough to read there.
So, I'd say, thus far, this has been a successful venture - the beauty is that any venture you do with God is always successful.


Wordle: What I Study

No comments:

Post a Comment