Monday, June 27, 2011

.dissertation: the first letter.

Let me begin by saying that it has been 9 months since I have had the opportunity to spend some real time blogging.  However, I can catch you up on my life with a few key words. Ready? Here we go: classes, reading, writing, papers, teaching, grading, voice lessons, recital, choir, recording, small group, growing closer to God, parties, fasting, shopping, eating out, movies, making new friends, laundry and sleeping.  Seriously, nine months of living summed up in 20 words/phrases.  Sad, but true.

So, know that you are caught up, let's get to the real reason for today's post.  This summer, I have been given funding to begin working on my dissertation - so I am making a trek around a few states (Virginia, Texas, Pennsylvania and New Jersey) to begin collecting artifacts.  My preliminary book title is: The Rise, Fall and Residue of Blackface Minstrelsy in American Mediated Culture.  I am creating a history of minstrelsy from about 1840 - 2004 covering various mediums (print, radio, TV and film).  It is a huge undertaking but those of you who know me know that I have never done anything in my life halfway - all or nothing and I have decided to go all in on this one.

I passed my plan of study meeting in April and my entire committee is excited about where this project can take me in my career as well as the field of communication studies.  I fancy myself a bit of a forensic historian - rebuilding the process of race, racism and communication through archives.  It is using the real voice of real people to create new theory.  I am blessed to see that all of the interests that I have had all my life come together in this way.  It makes the phrase: "All things work together for the good of them that love the Lord and are called according to His purpose" take on a whole new meaning.  Who knew that 33 years ago when I was born that He saw this day....

So, the letter.  I was working through some documents at the special collections at Alderman Library at UVA and I come across a folder entitled, "Letter from Napoleon W. Gould to Clarke".  I began to catalog and photograph the letter and then finally settled in to translate it.  It took about 30 mins to decipher the two page document but it had just enough identifying information to begin to create a timeline for some of the earliest performances of the Christy's Minstrels (the oldest minstrel troupe in the US).  All my little wheels began to turn on how this may become the anchor of my book - how this letter could be weaved throughout the dissertation to create the textual and pictorial history of the American Blackface minstrel show.  I cannot explain how amazing it felt - I was so glad my mother was present to share the moment with me.  She was just as intrigued.  Inside, I'm still doing the happy dance!! ;)

Needless to say, today left me with more questions than answers but that means that as long as there are trails to follow, there are pages to be crafted.  Pages means diploma; diploma means a new title......

This is what makes being an uber-nerd a wonderful thing......

I got so many more boxes ahead of me, I am continually praying for more days like today - I am sure they are on the way.  Right now I am thankful for the opportunity to do what I love - it makes life just a bit sweeter.

Thanks for listening! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erica,
    I'm following your blog to see what I have to look forward to. While I'm still in the preliminary pre-dissertation stage I am beginning to formulate my ideas. Your study sounds interesting and intriguing. Carry on, friend.
    Charlotte Holter

    ReplyDelete